Pages

Tuesday 15 January 2013

Weighty Issues

Over the past month Riggs has done nothing but drop weight. To try and counteract this he was first fed more. When no change was observed his feed was changed and two weeks from that point he still hasn't managed to put on any weight!

 12/11/12
29/12/12
12/1/13

He is currently being fed a sizeable mix of oaten and lucerne chaff, Hygain Ice and rice pollard twice a day. He eats all of his meals and flips the tyre feeder to see if more will magically appear. He also gets hay and is in a paddock 24hrs a day. I have no idea what his issue is! His trainer and wife told me over the weekend that he is normally on the tubby side and all I have to say to that is that 'the plot thickens'. Riggs is proving a genuine puzzle.

So the vet is making a first visit on Thursday, and much to my eternal delight (this is sarcasm) I am unable to be on hand for it. Fortunately, they do their bloodwork internally. So I'm sort of hoping to have an answer on Friday.

This has been infinitely frustrating.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that he is dropping weight, have you had his teeth checked?
    I thin i remember reading elsewhere that he is all up to date on his worming schedule, so like you I'm afraid I can't think of anything that might be helpful - sorry!
    Will keep everything crossed that the bloodwork and/or vet can figure out what's causing the sudden loss of weight.
    Is it very hot where you keep him turned out? Has he enough shade/water etc, I'm not implying you'd deprive him of these things, but I just remembered that it's summer with you guys and maybe he sweating more than usual or something...sorry I really don't know!
    I'll shut up now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He wasn't characterising a tooth problem while eating so I sort of counted that out, but the vet had a look for me on Thursday and said that his teeth were good for another six months. He is definitely up to date on his worming so I know it's not that. Still waiting to hear about the bloods.

    He has access to shade, but he *chooses* to stand in the sun. Goose. Plenty of water though, at least he makes use of that! I tried giving him more hay but he just picks at it sporadically over the duration of the day and I can't force feed him. At least he eats his meals, right? Haha

    ReplyDelete