Pages

Thursday 27 December 2012

Going Forward

So, with 2013 just around the corner it seems timely to plan out Riggs' retraining schedule. If things are going really well into the middle of the year then I may seriously see about taking him to the local show in October - just in led classes - to see how he goes out and about. But, much needs to be done before that is truly on the table...

Starting from (hopefully) this weekend, I'm going to teach him some voice commands. I'm currently physically incapable of doing anything with him other than leading him around. And leading him around is only possible because he is the politest, most sensible race trained thoroughbred I have ever had the pleasure of working with. So I'm planning on teaching him some basic voice commands with emphasis on 'woah'. I believe that 'woah' will prove useful in the future.

Once the cast is off and my wrist has regained reasonable strength I will lunge him regularly, gradually increasing his fitness. I will also use full tack to de-sensitise him to wearing the new saddle and incorporate side reins to teach him to respect the bit and help him learn that pressure does not equal full gallop/psycho action, as well as teach him to round up and use his hind quarters. I fully expect this process to take a few months as I want to make sure both he and I get it; further, I don't want to spoil him by rushing through anything.

I will be keeping a close eye on his bow, which is seven months old, to ensure the circle work is not adversely affecting the tendon. Once he's good about the bit and rounding up a bit I hope to start riding on the lunge (how much trouble can he cause going in a circle?) and learning how I can aid him.

January will be about forging a tight bond and light lunging when my Aunt isn't busy. I really, really want him to trust and respect me so we can work as a team. As well as the voice commands I plan to just spend time with him and see how he talks to me so that I understand him in return.

I am super pumped for 2013 and getting really started with my boy!!!


1 comment:

  1. Exciting times ahead!
    Belated Christmas Wishes from Lux - I hope you're having a wonderful festive period and look forward to hearing all about your adventures in the new year.
    Sounds like you've solid plans laid out :D

    ReplyDelete